If you’ve ever experienced the wrath of bed bugs, you know how frustrating it can be. Not only are they difficult to get rid of, but they can also cause some severe health issues. With that said, you may be wondering whether bed bugs are contagious or not. In this article, we’ll delve into everything you need to know about bed bug infestations, their transmission, and how to prevent them from spreading.
Table of Contents
Bed bugs are small, oval-shaped insects that feed on human blood. They are often found in areas where people sleep, such as hotels, apartments, and homes. Bed bugs are a common problem worldwide, and infestations have been on the rise in recent years. These insects are notorious for their ability to cause sleepless nights and skin irritation. The question is, are bed bugs contagious?
Read natural remedies to get rid of bed bugs in 2023
ARE BED BUGS CONTAGIOUS?
The answer is both yes and no. Bed bugs do not spread diseases like some other insects, such as mosquitoes or ticks. However, bed bugs are contagious in the sense that they can easily spread from person to person through physical contact or the transfer of infested items.
Bed bugs can travel from one place to another via luggage, clothing, furniture, or any other item that has been exposed to them. They can also crawl from one room to another or one apartment to another, especially if the infestation is severe. This means that if you’re staying in a hotel or an apartment where bed bugs are present, you’re at risk of bringing them back to your home.
How to Identify Bed Bugs
Before we discuss how bed bugs spread, it’s essential to know how to identify them. Bed bugs are reddish-brown in color and are about the size of an apple seed. They are often mistaken for other insects, such as ticks or fleas. Bed bugs leave behind small, dark stains on sheets or mattresses, which are a telltale sign of their presence. If you notice any signs of bed bugs in your home, it’s crucial to take action immediately.
HOW DO BED BUGS MOVE FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER?
Bed bugs can’t jump or fly so, they need a carrier to move away. It’s not difficult to move around in a house for bed bugs; but when it’s about traveling long distances, they can’t do it by themselves.
Some of their travel items are below:
- Old stuff
How to Prevent Bed Bugs from Spreading
Preventing bed bugs from spreading can be challenging, but it’s not impossible. Here are some tips to help you prevent bed bugs from spreading:
- Inspect secondhand furniture and other items before bringing them into your home.
- Use a protective cover for your mattress and box spring to prevent bed bugs from infesting them.
- Regularly vacuum your home, paying special attention to areas where bed bugs are likely to hide, such as cracks, crevices, and seams.
- Wash your clothing and bedding in hot water and dry them on high heat to kill any bed bugs that may be present.
- When staying in a hotel, inspect the room for signs of bed bugs before unpacking your luggage. Keep your luggage off the floor and away from the bed, and use luggage racks if available.
- If you suspect that you’ve been exposed to bed bugs, put your clothing and other items in a sealed plastic bag to prevent them from spreading to other areas.
BED BUGS ARE CONTAGIOUS AT SCHOOL OR WORK
What makes them very contagious Outside work or school is that environmental control in such places is very difficult.
You can check every single person entering the school or office. You can’t control their bags, clothes or other personal staff.
So, when someone has bed bugs in the personal staff like clothes or bag, bed bugs Outside can move from one person to another one easily. Because they are so little in size and although they are visible to the human eye, it’s difficult to see them while they are moving around.
HOW TO PREVENT BED BUG INVASION AT SCHOOL?
However, it’s difficult to fight bed bugs at school, there are some ways that can prevent bed bug invasion.
These steps can be taken by parents in such a deal:
- Children infected by bed bugs must stay at home
- All staff in the school must be checked carefully
- There shouldn’t be unused clothes, boots or bags around
- A professional pest control expert must be hired
- Floor and hard surfaces must be cleaned with hot soapy water
ARE BED BUGS CONTAGIOUS TO DOGS OR CATS?
As I told above, bed bugs feed on mammalians by their blood. So, they prefer to host in cracks or holes which are near to their food sources.
If there are bed bugs at home, they will probably try to feed on your pets like dogs or cats. But you must remember that bed bugs will always prefer humans as the main and first food source.
This means that bed bugs can spread on your dogs or cats but, if there are humans around and bed bugs can reach them, they won’t prefer feeding on pets.
What’s important about pets is that they are very good hiding places for bed bugs and a dog’s or cat’s hairy skin will become an ideal host for bed bugs.